WATER & SEWER
The City of Lancaster owns, operates and maintains two drinking water treatment facilities that provide drinking water for over 110,000 people in the Lancaster area through approximately 43,000 taps. See the tabs below for more information.
SEWER BACKUPS & OVERFLOW
The property owner is responsible for hiring a licensed plumber to clear any blockages or repair any damage to private laterals. Property owners are responsible for their sewer laterals up to the point of connection with the city owned main. Tenants should report any problems with sewage directly to their landlord for correction. The city will not clear any private lines. A permit must be obtained by a city licensed master plumber for repairing damaged lines. For problems with common, private lines that serve multiple properties, all property owners served by that line are required to jointly participate in the clearing of the common line.
Water Rate Increase
Current Water Quality Reports
- Why does our water sometimes taste or smell bad?
- Is there lead in City drinking water?
- How can I learn more about City of Lancaster Department of Public Works/Water Bureau’s water quality?
- Are there health concerns related to the use of this AMR technology with my water meter service?
- Are there measures taken to protect a customer’s security with the use of this new AMR technology for my water meter service?
- How do I identify the water meter upgrade installer? How can I be sure that the installer works for you?
- How does AMR technology work with my water meter?
- How long will the water meter upgrade installations take?
- How will AMR technology impact my water bill? Will my bill go up?
- Is there any cost for upgrading my water meter service?
- We just received a letter about upgrading our water meter service, but it did not include a telephone number to call to setup an appointment. Who do I contact?
- We just received a letter requesting we setup an appointment to upgrade our water meter service. Is this as legitimate request? Or is this a scam?
- What if I have questions about the last meter read on my water meter before my upgrade?
- What will upgrade when upgrading my water meter service?
- When upgrading my water meter service will I have to be home and what am I required to do?
- Who will be doing the installations when upgrading my water meter service?