Poor visibility, combined with rapid accumulation over a short period of time, limited the effectiveness of plows during the past weekend’s snow storm. Simply stated, there was/is not enough space to place plowed snow. This meant that City crews had to entirely REMOVE snow from streets – a VERY time consuming and labor intensive process. That process continues.
If all goes according to the below schedule, we expect to have the entire length of all snow emergency routes cleared of snow, curb-to-curb by midnight Wednesday.
SNOW REMOVAL using skid-loaders and dump trucks continues 24/7 along side streets. Crews are out in all quadrants of the City working to collect and haul snow from side streets. All available resources are being allocated to this effort. We ask for patience.
PROGRESS SLOW BUT STEADY
Curb-to-curb snow removal along snow emergency routes progress to date:
- N Duke St. from James to Clay completed on both sides
- N Lime St. from Walnut to James completed on both sides
- W Walnut St. from Prince to Charlotte completed on both sides
- W Walnut St. south side completed from Prince to College
- E Walnut St. from Plum to Lime completed on both sides
- E Chestnut St. from Lime to Plum completed on both sides
- W Chestnut St. from Charlotte to Prince completed on both sides
- E Orange St. from Plum to Lime completed on both sides
TUESDAY, JANUARY 26 - Daytime:
Snow removal is scheduled for:
- W Walnut St. -- North side Charlotte to College
- S Duke St. – King to Farnum
- S Lime St. – King to Vine
- W Orange St. – Prince to Charlotte
- W King St. – Ruby to Prince
- E King St. – Lime to Plum
In order to help snow removal crews continuing clearing through the night, please use the Prince Street garage for free parking beginning Tuesday evening at 6 PM through 8 AM Wednesday morning. Be sure to take a ticket upon entering the garage. Vehicles left in the garage after 9 AM Wednesday will be charged a parking fee. Continue to monitor the City’s website and Facebook as we try to secure additional parking options at other City locations.
Enforcement of metered parking will remain suspended. Residents can continue to park in metered spaces at no charge. Stay tuned for updates on parking options for the duration of this clean-up.
TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 27 - Evening and overnight hours:
Snow removal scheduled for:
- N Duke St. – James to Liberty
- N Lime St. – James to Liberty
- E Walnut St. – N Plum to Broad
- E Chestnut St. – N Plum to Broad
- E Orange St. – N Plum to Broad
- E King St. – N Plum to Broad
- W Walnut St. – N Charlotte to College
- W Chestnut St. – N Charlotte to College
- W Orange St. – N Charlotte to College
CITY COUNCIL MEETING previously scheduled for tonight, JANUARY 26, IS CANCELLED.
THANKS TO ALL SNOW REMOVAL CREWS AND RESIDENTS FOR WORKING TOGETHER TO MEET THIS CHALLENGE.