South Prince at Conestoga Streets
These buildings (known as Mills #1, #2, and #3) are one of the largest historic industrial complexes in Lancaster, built as the county's first steam-powered cotton mill. When operations began in 1847, Mill #1 was the largest structure in Lancaster, while Mill #2 introduced the Romanesque Revival Style to the city. The mills were the city's largest industry and employer by the 1880s. Mill #1 ceased operations in 1895, and was later used as a tobacco warehouse. Mills #2 and #3 continued to operate until 1949. The School District of Lancaster has adaptively reused Mills #1 and #3, as the Carter and MacRae Elementary School. Located across the street, Mill #2 houses the Water Street Rescue Mission.